Safeguarding at St.Thomas’ Church, Mellor
If you have information about a safeguarding situation where a child or adult is at immediate risk or requires immediate medical attention call the emergency services on 999. Do not delay.
You can also contact the Diocesan Vulnerability and Safeguarding Adviser directly:
Tel no: 07704 338885 (available during office hours)
The following local contacts are available to speak to through the Parish Centre Office if you have any Safeguarding concerns:
Kathryn Maxwell, Emma Wilson – Parish Safeguarding Officers
Parish Centre Office contact details:
Telephone: 0161 484 5079
Statement of safeguarding principles
The Church of England and the Methodist church work in partnership with other Christian agencies in delivering safeguarding.
We are committed to:
- The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with all children, young people and all adults;
- The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and all adults;
- The establishing of safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and where they can find support and best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse.
To this end:
- We will carefully select, support and train all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with the principles of safer recruitment. We will respond without delay to every complaint made, that any adult, child or young person may have been harmed, cooperating with police and local authority in any investigation.
- We will seek to offer informed pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them an appropriate ministry that recognises the importance of understanding the needs of those who have been abused including their feelings of alienation and/or isolation.
- We will seek to protect survivors of abuse from the possibility of further harm and abuse. will seek to challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of respect and responsibility, where they were trusted by others.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision, and referral to the appropriate authorities, to any member of our church community no one to have offended against a child young person or adult who is vulnerable.
In all these principles we will follow legislation guidance and recognise good practice.
Please check the Church of England website for the latest updates:
Other Useful links
Action on Elder Abuse – wearehourglass.org
Tel: 0808 808 8141
Thirtyone:eight thirtyone:eight.org (previously known as CCPAS The Churches’ Child Protection Advisory Service)
Tel: 0303 003 1111
CEOP Child Exploitation and Online Protection
Tel: 0870 000 3344
Childline – Helpline for children Tel: 0800 1111
Kidscape – UK charity committed to keeping children safe from harm or abuse
Tel: 0207 730 3300
NSPCC – nspcc.org National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children Tel: 0808 800 5000
Women’s Aid – Free phone 24 hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline Tel: 0808 2000 247